Whole-Grain Breakfast Cookies
(Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com, though we made some modifications.)
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ground flax meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup blue agave nectar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Prep 25 min
Cook 10 min
Ready In 50 min
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Pulse the walnuts in a food processor several times to chop; continue processing until the walnuts are ground into flour; transfer to a bowl. Mix in the rolled oats, whole wheat flour, flax meal, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until thoroughly combined.
- Combine the almond butter, canola oil, agave nectar, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract in the food processor and process a few seconds to blend the ingredients well; transfer the almond butter mixture to a large bowl and fold in the dried cherries and chocolate chips. Mix the walnut-oatmeal mixture into the almond butter mixture (dough will be very thick).
- Scoop up heaping teaspoons of dough, and form into balls; lay the dough balls onto the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and flatten the cookies with a spatula. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes on the baking sheets before removing to finish cooling on wire racks.