Winner: Dee Jacob, The Marketplace at Guilford Food Center.
Slow Cooker Asian Short Rib Slider
• 5 pound boneless beef short ribs
• Salt and pepper
• 1 1/4 tablespoon olive oil
• 2/3 cup GF soy sauce (reduced sodium preferable)
• 1 1/4 cup beef broth
• 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
• 10 cloves garlic – 8 whole and 2 minced
• 1 1/4 tablespoon ginger freshly grated
• 11/4 teaspoon sesame oil
• 1 onion quartered
• 2.5 tablespoons cornstarch
• 1/3cup water
• 2.5 tablespoons cilantro leaves fresh and chopped
• 1.25 teaspoon sesame seeds
1. Transfer ribs to slow cooker. Distribute evenly on the
2. In a large bowl, whisk together: soy sauce, beef broth,
brown sugar, minced garlic, ginger, sesame oil. Stir until
3. Add the mixture to the slow cooker over the ribs. Add the
10 whole garlic cloves, distribute evenly, also between the
ribs. Same for the quartered onion.
4. Cover and cook on low heat for 8-9 hours.
5. If you can, mid cooking, using a ladle, pour some of the
slow cooker sauce on top of the ribs.
6. Remove meat from Crock Pot and shred. Return to pot.
7. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and 1⁄4 cup water
until fully combined, with no clumps. Gently stir in mixture
into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat for an
additional 30 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
8. When ready to serve, top with sesame seeds and chopped
Served on Steam Buns, Top with Miso Ginger Slaw, Add
Siracha Sauce to taste
Miso Ginger Slaw
Thinly slice carrots, cucumber, scallions, and granny smith
apple. Cut in half and put in bowl, Add Miso Ginger
Dressing to lightly sauce.
2nd Place – Run Fast, Cook Slow
Best Runner’s Hot Chocolate
For after a CHILLY CT RUN, WALK or for ANYONE at ANYTIME!
- 1 12 oz. bag milk chocolate chips (Lily’s are BEST!)
- 2 cups of half & half
- 6 cups of milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1- 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- Optional: Hot chocolate bar toppings (Suggestions: whipped cream, marshmallows, chips (chocolate, peanut butter, butterscotch, vanilla), crushed candy canes, crushed graham crackers, chocolate syrup, cinnamon, chocolate shavings, shredded coconut, sprinkles, Bailey’s Irish Cream shots)
- Put all 5 ingredients into your slow-cooker. (If making double, use a 6 quart or larger slow-cooker)
- Mix together, cover, and cook on low for 2 hours.
- Stir occasionally.
- When done, leave it in the slow-cooker and turn on the warm setting. Uncover and use a ladle to serve. Leave toppings out to be added.
This recipe is enough for a family. Double or triple it for a party or crowd.
Third Place: One + Company
Crockpot Black Forest Dump Cobbler, by the Community Dining Room
This is super simple.
1 – 21 oz. can of cherry pie filling
1-1/2 cups chocolate fudge cake mix (about1/2 the bag)
1/2 cup butter, melted
Spray crockpot with cooking spray.
Pour cherry pie filling into the bottom of the crock.
Sprinkle cake mix over the pie filling smooth to an even layer.
Pour melted butter evenly over the cake mix.
Place a paper towel on the top of crock to catch condensation and put the lid on.
Cook on high for 2 – 2-1/2 hours. Do not overcook. It will be a little spongy when done.
Serve with whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce.
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili, by Jennifer Page
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
2 medium-large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced about 3 ½ cups
1 large onion diced
4 cloves garlic minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
4 teaspoons ground cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
2 ½ cups water
2 15-ounce cans black beans rinsed
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 can of corn or 1 ½ cup frozen corn cooked
2 teaspoons lime juice
Heat oil in over medium heat and saute onions and garlic until onion is soft.
Combine all other ingredients in the crock pot and cook on high for 6 hours.
Bacon Corn Chowder by Sean Scanlon
1In 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, mix potatoes, onion, corn, broth, salt and pepper.
2Cover; cook on High heat setting 3 to 4 hours or until potatoes are tender.
3In small bowl, beat half-and-half and cornstarch with whisk until smooth. Stir half-and-half mixture and bacon into mixture in slow-cooker. Cover; cook 10 to 15 minutes longer or until slightly thickened.
Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon, Submitted by Ready to Serve
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork (served with homemade Carolina Sauce), by Elysia Piscitelli of Nikki Travaglino & Associates