Plastic, it seems, has taken over our lives. It is everywhere. We know we should do our part to help the planet, but how? Most people are trying to do their part eliminating plastic from their daily habits. It can be overwhelming, but if we all do our part and try to eliminate a couple of these habits out of our life, then the overall effect will be huge.
Here are some easy ways:
- Use reusable shopping bags, and cloth or mesh produce bags. Store bags in your trunk for grocery shopping. Stash a bag that folds up into a pocket-size pouch into your glove compartment, to use on unplanned trips to the drug store or convenience store.
- Use reusable food containers. Plastic sandwich bags and Ziplocs are usually used only once or twice. Replace them with containers made from stainless steel, glass, or silicone that can be used over and over. Buying snacks in bulk and dividing them into single-serving, reusable containers cuts down on plastic waste.
- Never use single-use plastic water bottles. We sell a wide variety of stainless-steel, silicone, and BPA-free plastic reusable bottles.
- Instead of plastic wrap for food, use Bee’s Wrap. They offer reusable wraps made from wax-coated cloth that will keep food fresh, while keeping your refrigerator pretty.
- Have you heard of the reusable silicone food bags by Stasher? Cook, bake, boil and freeze!
- Buys spices in bulk in paper bags and then transfer to pretty spice jars or store in the paper bag. The Spice & Tea Exchange is a great source for bulk spices.
- Don’t use plastic utensils. Carry a set of utensils in your car or pocketbook.
- Say no to straws! If you must use a straw, invest in stainless steel or glass straws. Be sure to buy a cleaning brush to go with the straws, and clean promptly.
- Use bar soap instead of shower gel in a plastic container.
- Use a cast iron pan instead of the “Non-stick” coated pans. Lodge makes great cast iron pans that will last forever! You can bake, fry and even put these pans on your grill!
- Bonus: Shop local. Most online purchases are delivered in plastic wrapping and/or with bubble wrap/balloons. You have little control over the packaging used by the manufacturer, but when you purchase a product locally, you can at least eliminate unnecessary plastic used to protect the item from shipping damage and weather.
Share with us your creative ways for reducing plastic in you lives. Every little bit helps!